Welcome to BMMS Math Team 2021-2022
BMMS math team is organized by parents for students committed to develop their math knowledge and problem solving skills. Club members will meet weekly to deepen math knowledge from concept to practice. Team will prepare for annual competitions such as AMC 8, AMC 10, MathCounts, and MathLeague. Additionally, club will coordinate with high school students with excellent math skill and fresh competition experience to coach a few occurrences when possible.
The club will not succeed without parent volunteers. We encourage all parents with STEM background to step up to coach a few classes.
Head Coach: Kai Deng
Head Coach: Hemali Shah
Useful meeting and events info
- Weekly Math club meetings are held on TBD, pm at BMMS, room 307.
- The Math Team club is typically formed by two groups if we have enough coaches for the 2nd team: Black Team and Blue Team.
- We try to interface Black Team with faster pace; And we will want to give Blue Team more review time and opportunities to ask questions. If we are going for 2 teams structures, then the Mock Test result taken at the first day will be the only qualification for entering the Black Team. There will be no exception.
- The Math students will participate in AMC8, MathCounts, MathLeague, AMC10 Competitions.
- The Mathcounts is a nationwide middle school coaching and competitive program. The school level competition for all team members will be typically held in December of the year. Students will be selected to represent BMMS in the San Diego Regional typically in February of next year. Please see Mathcounts for details.
- The AMC-8 is a 25-question, 40-minute, multiple-choice test in middle school mathematics. The contest is typically held in November. Please see AMC for details.
- The AMC-10 is a 25-question, 75-minute, multiple-choice test in secondary school mathematics containing problems which can be understood and solved with algebra and geometry concepts. 7th and 8th grade students may take AMC-10. AMC-10 will be conducted on February. More details at AMC-10/12.
- Math League is a national competition where students compete by grade level, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. There is also an Algebra competition we plan to participate in. The Math League competitions will be in February and April 2020. More details at The Math League.
- The calendar of events is posted here: <tbd>
- 2020 AMC 8
- Honor Roll and Gold Medalist: Roger Niciu
- Silver Medalist: Raine Wen, Sparsh Singhai
- 2020 AMC 10
- Gold Medalist: Raine Wen
- Silver Medalist: David He
- Bronze Medalist: Aarav Yadav
- 2021 Mathcounts Chapter
- Gold Medalist: Roger Niciu
- Silver Medalist: Raine Wen
- Bronze Medalist: David He, Aarav Yadav
- 2021 Mathleague Algebra
- Gold Medalist: David He
- Silver Medalist: Raine Wen
- Bronze Medalist: Roger Niciu
Getting in the Math Club
- The registration for the 2021-2022 Math Club is still open. Please submit your registration interest by completing this google form here: <registration form>
- The kick off meeting to get more info the Math club is on on tbd, at tbd pm in room 307. During the meeting, while parents attend the presentation, the students will take a mock AMC8 test in an adjacent room.
- By the end of September, parents of the participating students, are expected to make donation of $60 per student to cover competition registration, party, awards, etc. Please pay to: PayPal or check to BMMS Educational Foundation (please put a note that the donation is for math team). Use https://educationfoundationbmms.com/donate/, and email email@example.com once you sent the donation.
- For questions, email the Math Team head coach, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The BMMS teacher supporting this activity is Mrs. Julie Garcia